Call for March 20 Student / Youth Action Against the War
Fight Back News Service is circulating the following call for a March 20 national day of student and youth protest against the war in Iraq.
The war in Iraq is entering its fifth year. Despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of citizens want the war to end, despite the fact that U.S. forces are being defeated by the Iraqi resistance, Bush recently announced plans to send 21,500 more troops to Iraq. These troops are being committed to fight and die in an unjust war based on lies and greed. Four years is four years too many. The Iraqi people want the foreign occupiers out. They know the U.S. government is not a “liberator,” but whose presence means only continued violence, death, and destruction.
We, students and young people here in the U.S., support the right of the Iraqi people to self-determination. We refuse to accept this new strategy to “expand the military,” and reject any means the government may use to make these new troops materialize – whether through the implementation of a draft or the continued use of manipulative and deceptive recruitment techniques. We refuse to be subtle in our outcry against this war, we refuse to do nothing and be silent while people are killed in our name for profit for the rich and we refuse to be sent overseas in a war for oil.
This past November, 100 students from twenty different college campuses came together at a Students for a Democratic Society meeting in Ft.Benning, GA and unanimously decided that March 20th be declared a national day of student and youth resistance against the war! SDS is calling on all students and youth to get out in the streets, get involved and get organized against this war! We, the students and youth of this country, are taking an active stand against US imperialism and fighting for a better world. We reject this war of greed and profit, and are walking out of our classes and taking to the streets in protest!
FIGHT THE WAR MACHINE – GET ORGANIZED, GET INVOLVED, AND GET IN THE STREETS!
These are the schools we know of that are participating in the March 20 student anti-war day of action. Email march20antiwar (at) hotmail.com if your school is doing something and we'll add you to the list!
1. UNC-Asheville Socialist Unity League of SDS: Walk-Out at 11:30, Rally, March Downtown
2. University of Alabama SDS: Rally at noon at the Denny Chimes
3. University of Minnesota Anti-War Organizing League (AWOL): Rally in front of Coffman Union, 12:00 pm
4. UIC Students for Social Justice (S4SJ-SDS) and CAN: Walkout, Rally, Feeder March
5. Rutgers R.A.W (Rutgers Against the War): Walk-Out and Rally at 1:30, Vietnam Memorial
6. UNC-Chapel Hill SDS: Walkout, Rally at the Pit 12pm, March
7. UNC-Charlotte SDS
8. George Mason University SDS: Die-In
9. Winthrop University Socialist Student Union (Winthrop, SC)
10. Elmhurst College SDS (Chicago)
11. Columbus, Ohio SDS
12. UCLA SDS: Speak-Outs on the 14-15th (Spring Break on the 20th)
13. Western Illinois University MAAPJ:Rally 1pm Chandler Park (on the 24th)
14. Green Hope High School SDS (Cary, NC): Walk-Out and March
15. Mt. Hebron High School (Baltimore, MD): Assembly
16. Wildlake High School (Columbia, MD): Demonstrations before/after school
17. Animas SDS Fort Lewis College (Durango, CO)
18. Macalester College Peace and Justice Committee (St. Paul, MN): Walk-Out
19. Georgia State University SDS
20. Kennesaw State University Campus Greens (Kennesaw, GA)
21. American University Community Action + Social Justice Coalition (DC)
22. Auckland University Students for Justice in Palestine/SDS: Student Strike
23. Depaul DSAW/SDS
24. University of Chicago SDS
25. School of the Art Institute of Chicago SDS
26. Northeastern Illinois University CAN
27. Desales High School Amnesty (Columbus, OH): Tabling and armbands
28. Lancaster, PA SDS
29. NYU Campus Anti-War Network: Walk-Out and rally at Washington Square Park.
30. Temple Campus Anti-War Network
31. Berea High School Ohio Fighters for Freedom: Walk-Out and Rally
32. Obion County Central WCW (TN): Walkout
33. University of Florida SDS: Walk-Out and March
34. University of Greensboro WCW: Walk-Out
35. University of California Santa Barbara: Action TBA
36. Santa Barbara City College: Rally on West Campus (March 14th 12:00pm)
37. Cary High School (Cary, NC): Walk-Out
38. Enloe High School (Raleigh, NC): Walk-Out and creative demonstration
39. Lawrenceville Boarding School (NJ): Walk-Out and sit-in at center of campus
40. Moorestown Friends School SDS (NJ): Walk-Out
41. Brown University SDS (Providence, RI): Street Theater outside Textron (arms manufacturer) and a banner drop
42. University of Iowa CAN: Rally 5pm at Pentacrest
43. University of Northern Iowa CAN: Walk-Out
44. ACTIVATE Grand Rapids, MI SDS: Days of Resistance to the War
45. Needham B. Broughton High Students Rights Union SDS (Raleigh, NC): Walk-Out and Rally
46. Fond de Lac HS WCW (WI): Walk-Out
47. Eleanor Roosevelt HS WCW (NYC): Walk-Out
48. Jefferson HS Youth Against War and Racism (MN): Day of Silence and Tabling
49. University of Wisconsin – Madison CAN: March 19th rally
50. White Plains High (White Plains, NY): Protest and Teach-In
51. Brandeis University (Boston): Teach-In and Demonstration
And these are the organizations that have endorsed the call to action!
1. World Can't Wait/Drive Out the Bush Regime: Call to Walk-Out on M20
2. SPAN (Student Peace Action Network): March 19 Actions
3. Campus Anti-War Network: March 12th-25th Actions